I love T.V. shows. I would rather binge watch a season (or two) of a good show vs watching a movie any day. Why? Because a T.V. show takes the time to show you the journey. Characters and relationships are developed throughout a T.V. show in a way that is not possible in a short 90 min movie.
I guess I just love a good journey.
We’ve gone through quite a journey over this past year. We went from a family of 4 to 5, started not one but two home business, and moved across town. It has been a little crazy. However, our most surprising journey by far has been our journey towards being more healthy. I want to preface this by saying I am in no way, shape, or form perfect at this; in fact, I just had a homemade milk shake and it was amazing. Especially because I didn’t have to make it, thanks hubby!
I have learned a thing or two about my self over the past year. I have learned what it takes for me to make health work in our family. I have learned how to break away from the eating and image issues that I’ve carried with me since my teens. And I’ve learned how to make it easy. Today, I’m going to share 6 easy ways to make your health goals doable.
1. Dress for it. You know the saying dress for the job you want? Well, I dress for the activity I want to do! If I want to get a run in sometime during the day, I get dressed in my running clothes first thing in the morning. Yoga? Leggings and a tank. A cardio work out? Shoes, shorts and a comfy shirt. With three kids, and three home businesses, anytime I get a minute, I want to be able to stop, drop, and work out.
2. Know yourself. I am not a morning person. I repeat, I am not a morning person. I have tried and tried to get up early to work out. 90% of the time, I fail. Do you know what happens? I beat myself up for it most of the day and am unable to shake that feeling of failure. Now that I know myself better, I am ok with working out at nap time, or while the kids play in their room right after breakfast. Getting started can be hard, set your self up to succeed by discovering what works for you.
3. Step it up but Grace it up. This goes with knowing yourself. Sometimes you just need to step it up. Push a little further, run a little longer, or wake up a little earlier. Those aren’t bad moments, those are good. Time and time again, I learn much about God’s strength when I push myself. At the same time, I can’t forget to give myself grace. If I try to step it up, yet I don’t succeed. It.Is.OK. We don’t have to be perfect. Not only does God show up to give you strength, but He loves you even when you can’t quite get that pose, or lose those last 10 lbs.
4. Do anything. A year ago I watched this amazing video of a man that was very unhealthy and disabled. He started doing yoga every day and his life changed drastically. He went from walking with canes, braces, and a walker, to being able to run. Just because he started with something! Watching this man stand on a yoga mat next to a kitchen chair, in case he fell, was something that rocked me. The next day, I did two yoga poses. It exhausted me and made me sore, but it was worth it.
5. Add before you subtract. I really love this one because its so easy! Add in what you want before taking away what you don’t want. Do you want to eat more healthy food and less processed foods? Start by simply adding in more healthy foods. Add an extra side of veggies at dinner. Make an afternoon snack of kale chips or a smoothie!
6. Learn new words. How many times do we stand in front of the mirror tearing our bodies apart with our words? How many times do we tell ourselves “Get skinny!!”? Our words have power, so much power. Death and life are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21). Are you speaking death or life over yourself? Let’s learn some new words: “You are beautifully and wonderfully made”, “You can do this”.
God wants you to enjoy an abundant life! So enjoy it. If my girlfriends and I are gathering together to celebrate a birthday, you better believe I’ll be the one suggesting cake. “So what if I eat less healthy tonight, its a birthday!” Break out of a religious mentality of “dieting” and instead, let’s celebrate life. However that looks for you.
What health goals are you working towards? Which of the 6 doable tips are you going to add into your life? We would love to hear from you!